Position Description: Acting Director of Family Faith Formation
Central Unitarian Church in Paramus, NJ
Central Unitarian Church, founded in 1897 and a member of the Unitarian Universalist Association of Congregations, is a liberal religious community serving approximately 170 members with approximately 20 families and 40 children and youth. We seek a half time Acting Director of Family Faith Formation to oversee and implement an engaging and theologically diverse religious education program for our children, youth and families. This is a two year “acting” position with the possibility of extension after two years.
Acting Director of Family Faith Formation
The Director of Family Faith Formation sets an overall vision for family faith development at CUC and oversees the implementation of its goals through stories, curricula, service, events and fun. Key components of our faith formation program for children, youth and families, include youth group and a comprehensive sexuality education for 7-9 Graders (OWL). We are looking to build new events and programming focused on the whole family, especially for those with children in 6th grade and under.
We seek a candidate who can help us re-envision our current faith formation program. Our main goal for the next two years is to provide an environment where children, youth and parents can form lasting connections with each other and develop spiritual practices to help them navigate the challenges of today’s world. This will require building on some of our existing key programs (such as youth group and OWL) as well as experimenting with new approaches to help our program thrive in the years ahead. This is a 12-month position at 20 hours per week with the opportunity to grow the position if the need arises. This is also a two year “acting” position with the possibility of extension after two years.
- Orient visitors and members to the Sunday morning faith formation program and provide follow up when needed.
- Work with the Minister to provide Story for All Ages weekly and multigenerational worship monthly.
- Support the Minister and Sunday morning worship team in shifting our Sunday culture to one that fully embraces all-ages presence and engagement in worship.
- Support volunteer teachers and assistants.
- Formulate program goals and review, plan, and prepare curricula and events.
- Integrate anti-racism, anti-oppression principles and practices in educational programs, social activities/events, and worship services.
- Recruit, orient, and support volunteer teachers, nursery and other support staff.
- Attend monthly meetings of the Children and Youth RE Committee, bi-weekly staff meetings, and occasional Board of Trustees meetings.
- Publicize and communicate the goals, programs, and activities of the faith engagement program to families, congregation and the public.
- Maintain classrooms, teaching materials, supplies, and resources.
- Maintain registration and attendance records for all faith formation programs and events in an orderly fashion.
- Ensure that all volunteers aged 18 or older who work with youth under age 18 have secured all required background clearances in accordance with CUC’s Safe Congregation policy.
- Create and maintain an annual budget for the faith formation program.
Continuing Education / Professional Development
- Attend regional and denominational continuing education for religious educators.
- Devote a portion of time to reading materials related to religious education.
Qualifications & Requirements
- Interpersonal skills to successfully manage extensive interactions with a wide range of individuals and groups.
- Demonstrated skill, sensitivity, and experience in interacting in a positive manner with people of various ethnic, social, cultural, economic, sexual orientation and gender identities.
- Demonstrated ability to lead change and gracefully respond to changing circumstances.
- Organizational skills including attention to detail, record keeping, curriculum development and assessment, and scheduling.
- Ability to work in a self-directed fashion and as part of a team are essential.
- Ability to recruit and nurture volunteers, delegate tasks, and communicate well with spoken and written word
- Supportive of Unitarian Universalist principles and the mission of Central Unitarian Church
- Knowledge and skills to help further diversity, equity, and inclusion within CUC’s faith formation programs.
- Training in education and experience with Unitarian Universalism is preferred, but someone with comparable experiences may be considered.
Terms and Conditions
Start Date: June 2022
Part-time: 12 month, 20 hours / week
Salary: $26,000 – $30,000
Supervisor: Senior Minister
Our ideal candidate will be creative, collaborative, and experience joy in working with children and adults in a socially-conscious and energetic congregation. CUC values a diverse workforce; people with disabilities, People of Color, and those who identify as LGBTQIA+ are strongly encouraged to apply. People with backgrounds in the arts, music, peace, justice or environmentalism are encouraged to apply.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume by email to the Rev. Andrée Cornelia Mol at email@example.com.